Monday, March 5, 2007

Mystery of the Swollen Lymph Nodes


This week, I am doing a blog on lymph nodes. The reason why I did not go to class last week was because the left side of my throat and two of my lymph nodes were swollen. I went to the doctor and he gave me some antibiotics. So for this week my question is What is a lymph node? What causes your lymph node to become swollen? What are some of the symptoms?

My doctor said that my lymph nodes were swollen because I had an infection that was probably caused by a cut that got infected. The reason why my throat and lymph nodes on only the left side of my body were swollen is because the cut was on the left side of my body. Very interesting. . .

According to eMedicineHealth, “Lymph glands (also called nodes) are a part of your lymphatic system, which is one of your body's barriers to infection and plays a role in the immune responses. When lymph glands become swollen, it may signal an infection.”
In your body, there are several groups of lymph glands. The common ones that tend to become enlarged or swollen are in your neck, under your chin, in the armpits, and in the groin.

What are lymph nodes?

“Lymph nodes are small clusters of cells, surrounded by a capsule.” (eMedicineHealth) The lymph nodes contain cells called lymphocytes and macrophages. Lymphocytes produce antibodies. Antibodies are protein particles that bind foreign substances and infectious particles. The Macrophages digest the debris. So, theses cells basically clean your body.

The lymph glands are where foreign substances and infections interact with cells from your immune system.

What causes your lymph nodes to become swollen?
Here are some causes for an enlarged or swollen lymph node:


During an infection, a foreign substance causes an increased number of lymphocytes.

Your immune system reacts to a generalized infection in the body. This includes viral infections that can occur with the common cold as well as more serious infections.

Having lymphoma or leukemia causing an uncontrolled malignant multiplication of lymphocytes

Symptoms:
Typical symptoms are an upper respiratory infection (runny nose, sore throat, fever). Exactly what I had. You may feel slightly tender nodes under the skin around your ears, under your chin, under the arm, and one the upper part of your neck.

You may experience a skin infection, redness, or a sore throat, and a feel a gland in the vicinity tracking toward the heart.

Lymph nodes deep inside the body may also swell. This is different from those just under the skin. Swelling of the lymph nodes in the body may cause the blockage in the flow of the lymph node and cause swelling of a limb or a chronic cough.

No comments: